BRIDGEWATER, Va. – The Bridgewater men's basketball team will return to action this weekend when the Eagles travel to Atlanta, Ga., for the Comfort Inn and Suites Holiday Classic hosted by Oglethorpe University.
Bridgewater will meet Sewanee on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. in their first game. The Eagles will face the host team, the Oglethorpe Stormy Petrels, on Sunday at 3:00 p.m.
- The Record: Bridgewater enters the weekend with a 5-5 overall record. The Eagles head to Atlanta, riding a three-game winning streak.
- Sweeping the Glick: Bridgewater won both games in its Don Glick Classic before the holiday break. The Eagles outscored Buffalo State on the opening day, 96-89. Dimetri Chambers matched his career-high with 28 points to lead five Eagles in double figures. Chambers also addied six assists and six steals. Ken Stanciel posted a double-double with 11 rebounds and a career-high 20 points. Josh Cammon scored 15 points, followed by Davrion Grier with 14 and Chandler Murray with 13. Grier scored a career-high 21 points to lead the Eagles to an 80-66 victory over Apprentice. TJ Turner scored 13 points, followed by Cammon with 12 and Jimmie Sanders with 11.
- Leading Scorers: Chambers leads the Eagles in scoring with a 14.3 average. Cammon averages 12.9 points per game, followed by Stanciel with a 12.4 average and Grier at 10.4 points per game.
- NCAA Stats: Chambers ranks No. 34 in the nation in steals, averaging 2.56 per game. The Eagles rank No. 6 in the nation in blocked shots with 5.9 per game and No. 35 in the country in 3-point FG percentage defense, allowing opponents to shoot just 29.3 percent from beyond the arc.
- The Record: Sewanee enters the weekend with a 9-1 overall record. The slate includes an 83-70 victory over Emory University, ranked No. 23 at the time.
- Balanced Scoring: The Tigers are led in scoring by their backcourt. Luke Smith averages 20.6 points per game and fellow guard Hunter Buescher averages 15.6 per game. Jordan Warlick also scores in double figures with a 10.3 average.
- Big Man Returns: Adrian Thomas, the 2017-18 Southern Athletic Association Player of the Year, returned to action in Sewanee's most recent game on Dec. 11, an 81-66 win over Boyce College. In his only game thus far this season, Thomas, a 6-foot-2, 260 pound post player, scored 16 points on 7-of-8 shooting in just 15 minutes of action.
- 3-Point Shooters: The Tigers are making 11.3 shots per game from long range on 39.1 percent shooting. Buescher is shooting 50 percent from 3-point range and Smith is shooting 43.9 percent.
- The Record: Oglethorpe enters the weekend with a 5-5 record.
- Against the ODAC: The Stormy Petrels have played one game against an ODAC foe this season, losing to Randolph-Macon, 73-56, at the Emory Thanksgiving Classic.
- Eagles Face Former Teammate: Oglethorpe senior Zach Breathwaite is playing this season for the Stormy Petrels after playing his junior year at Bridgewater. Breathwaite averaged 6.4 points and 3.4 rebounds for the Eagles. This season he is averaging 6.6 points and 3.3 rebounds per game for Oglethorpe.
- 3-Point Shooting: Oglethorpe makes 9.5 3-pointers per contest and shoots 37 percent from long range.
- Balanced Scoring: The Strormy Petrels have four players scoring in double figures, led by Will Perry with a 13.7 average. Will Kock averages 13.0 points per game, followed by Tom Inungu with 12.5 points per game and Ryan Jenei at 10.1 points per game.