skip navigation

Big Fourth Quarter Carries Eagles Past Marlins

Big Fourth Quarter Carries Eagles Past Marlins

The Bridgewater College men's lacrosse team scored six unanswered goals in the fourth quarter for a 16-12 comeback win over conference rival Virginia Wesleyan on Saturday.

The goal that put the Eagles up for good will go in the books as even strength, but was scored 6-on-7. With a flag on the field for offsides the Marlins left the seventh player on defense, but BC's Steven Cosgrove still drove through a crowd to score for a 12-11 lead.

That had came after a Daniel Brown goal to start the six-goal fourth quarter run, and Blake Mann followed for a 13-11 lead.

Freshman Hunter Callan then assisted Chris Voorhees and scored himself to make it 15-11. Voorhees added another on the counterattack from Edward Martin III to keep the Eagle surge going.

Voorhees finished with eight points on five goals and three assists, and took the school's all-time scoring record from Mann in the process. Mann (three goals, one assist) had taken sole possession of first place on the Bridgewater scoring charts with his first goal of the contest.

Defensemen Jake Truman, Aaron Kiser and Nick Sherman each forced three turnovers, with Truman adding five ground balls despite breaking two poles in the first quarter. Nick Strider won 13-of-20 faceoffs and also had five ground balls.

Bridgewater had faced a 6-on-4 shorthanded situation in the third quarter while trailing 10-9 but was able to get the kill, with goalie Kevin Metzger saving Joe Couture at the end of the play.

Marlins goalie Philip Venanzi (13 saves, seven ground balls) came up huge in the first half for the visitors, making nine saves including a string of difficult stops. He got his shaft on a point-blank shot from Mann, and then robbed Voorhees at the right post after VWC had taken a 2-0 lead.

Venanzi had six saves with no goals allowed in the opening 13 minutes. Wesleyan tried to double Taylor Phipps and the sophomore beat both defenders and scored to get the Eagles on the board.

That cut the deficit to 3-1 but the Marlins were able to bounce in a shot with just six seconds remaining in the first quarter. That became the theme of the first half as four straight times the Eagles cut a three-goal deficit to two, only for the visitors to answer.

Bridgewater finally broke that sequence with 2:07 remaining in the half. Mann fought to win back a ground ball and fed Voorhees inside to make it 7-5. Cosgrove went right back down the field off the faceoff and found MacLeish to make it a one-goal game, just 13 seconds later.

On the ensuing draw, Eagles freshman faceoff man Austin Aguilar dove to keep the loose ball alive with the Marlins set to control it. The play then nearly unfolded the same way as the previous possession, with Cosgrove winning the ground ball and bursting down the field to MacLeish. This time, MacLeish made the extra pass to a wide-open Mann, but Venanzi made another great save to keep VWC ahead.

Bridgewater improves to 5-4, 1-1 ODAC and will face another crucial conference clash next Saturday with a trip to Randolph-Macon.​