skip navigation

Two Second-Half Goals Lift Marlins Past Eagles

Two Second-Half Goals Lift Marlins Past Eagles

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Virginia Wesleyan broke a 0-0 halftime tie Wednesdsay evening with two goals early in the second half to defeat the Bridgewater College Eagles, 2-0, in Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) men's soccer action.

Virginia Wesleyan held a 6-2 edge in shots in the opening half, but the Eagles defense held strong to keep the Marlins off the scoreboard. Three of Virginia Wesleyan's shots were on goal, but Bridgewater goalkeeper Kevin Morris recorded the save on each attempt.

The Eagles held a 5-3 edge in shots in the second half, but the Marlins made two of their three shots count.

Bridgewater had the first opportunity during the first four minutes of the second half when Alex Farrington put a shot on frame. Marlins keeper Connor Kirkham was there for the save and re-directed the ball out of play. The Eagles followed with a corner kick, but were unable to convert.

Virginia Wesleyan countered following the corner and struck quickly when Tanner Martin took a pass from Josh Kemp and found the back of the net for a 1-0 lead.

The Eagles tried to answer the Marlins score, but Adrian Zamora's shot was knocked away from the goal by Kirkham. Another corner kick opportunity came up empty as the Marlins held on to the one goal lead. Bridgewater took aim at the goal once again on a shot by Adam Weisenborn, but once again Kirkham was in position for the save.

The Marlins then added an insurance score in the 59th minute on an unassisted goal by Travis Walke, giving the hosts a 2-0 lead.

Virginia Wesleyan finished with a slight 9-7 edge in shots while the Eagles held a slim 3-2 margin in corner kicks.

Bridgewater's Morris and Marlins' goalkeeper Kirkham each recorded four saves during the contest.

Bridgewater is back in action Saturday afternoon for Homecoming with an ODAC matchup against Guilford College. Game time at the BC Soccer Field is 4:00 p.m.