skip navigation

Eagles Move On To Semifinals With 2-0 Victory

Emily York possesses the ball for the Eagles.

BRIDGEWATER, Va. - Bridgewater scored two second-half goals during an eight-minute span Wednesday afternoon to defeat Ferrum College 2-0 in the quarterfinals of the ODAC women's soccer tournament.

The Eagles will meet Virginia Wesleyan in Saturday's first semifinal at 11:00 a.m. The Marlins blanked Roanoke, 1-0, in a quarterfinal contest.

Ferrum battled the Eagles to a scoreless standoff in the opening half. Bridgewater held a 9-1 advantage in shots in the first half, but only one shot was on frame as the Panthers kept the Eagles out of the box for most of the half.

The contest remained scoreless until the Eagles finally broke through in the 61st minute. Ana Elson crossed a pass from the left side and Catherine Haufe put her shot past the keeper for a 1-0 Eagles lead.

The Eagles kept the pressure on and nearly scored again when Emily York sent a cross from the left side toward the far post. Hanna Randolph headed the ball down and toward the opposite post and the ball appeared to be rolling in for the goal when a Ferrum defender cleared the ball off the line to keep it a one-goal game.

Bridgewater continued to push forward and netted the second goal in the 68th minute. Hanna Randolph won possession near midfield and played a through ball to York. The Ferrum keeper came off her line and York hit her shot into the open goal for a 2-0 Bridgewater lead.

The shutout was the 11th of the season, tying this year's team with the 2016 squad for the second-most shutouts in a season. The 2014 team holds the record with 14 shututs.

The shutout was the seventh of the season for Eagles' keeper Sydney Davis, tying her for the single-season record in the Bridgewater record book. Julianne Blevins in 2000 and Krista Kelly in 2014 also posted seven shutouts in a season.

In Saturday's semifinals, Bridgewater (15-2-2) will meet Virginia Wesleyan (10-3-4) for the second time in a one-week span. The teams played on Oct. 27 and that contest ended in a 0-0 draw.